Author Question: During a health history, the patient tells the nurse, I have pain all the time in my stomach. It's ... (Read 62 times)

bobbie

During a health history, the patient tells the nurse, I have pain all the time in my stomach. It's worse 2 hours after I eat, but it gets better if I eat again Based on these symptoms, the nurse suspects that the patient has which condition?

a. Appendicitis
  b. Gastric ulcer
  c. Duodenal ulcer
  d. Cholecystitis

Question 2

The nurse suspects that a patient has appendicitis. Which of these procedures are appropriate for use when assessing for appendicitis or a perforated appendix? Select all that apply.

a. Test for the Murphy sign
  b. Test for the Blumberg sign
  c. Test for shifting dullness
  d. Perform the iliopsoas muscle test
  e. Test for fluid wave

Dunkey

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Pain associated with duodenal ulcers occurs 2 to 3 hours after a meal; it may relieved by more food. Chronic pain associated with gastric ulcers usually occurs on an empty stomach. Severe, acute pain would occur with appendicitis and cholecystitis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, D
Testing for the Blumberg sign (rebound tenderness) and performing the iliopsoas muscle test should be used when assessing for appendicitis. The Murphy sign is used when assessing for an inflamed gallbladder or cholecystitis. Testing for a fluid wave and shifting dullness is performed when assessing for ascites.