This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During a visit to the clinic, a patient states, The doctor just told me he thought I ought to stop ... (Read 35 times)

ahriuashd

During a visit to the clinic, a patient states, The doctor just told me he thought I ought to stop smoking. He doesn't understand how hard I've tried. I just don't know the best way to do it. What should I do?

The nurse's most appropriate response in this case would be:

a.
  I'd quit if I were you. The doctor really knows what he is talking about.
  b.
  Would you like some information about the different ways a person can quit smoking?
  c.
  Stopping your dependence on cigarettes can be very difficult. I understand how you feel.
  d.
  Why are you confused? Didn't the doctor give you the information about the smoking cessation program we offer?

Question 2

A pregnant woman states, I just know labor will be so painful that I won't be able to stand it. I know it sounds awful, but I really dread going into labor. The nurse responds by stating, Oh, don't worry about labor so much. I have been through it,

and although it is painful, many good medications are available to decrease the pain. Which statement is true regarding this response? The nurse's reply was a:
  a.
  Therapeutic response. By sharing something personal, the nurse gives hope to this woman.
  b.
  Nontherapeutic response. By providing false reassurance, the nurse actually cut off further discussion of the woman's fears.
  c.
  Therapeutic response. By providing information about the medications available, the nurse is giving information to the woman.
  d.
  Nontherapeutic response. The nurse is essentially giving the message to the woman that labor cannot be tolerated without medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Alyson.hiatt@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Clarification should be used when the person's word choice is ambiguous or confusing. Clarification is also used to summarize the person's words or to simplify the words to make them clearer; the nurse should then ask if he or she is on the right track. The other responses give unwanted advice or do not offer a helpful response.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
By providing false assurance or reassurance, this courage builder relieves the woman's anxiety and gives the nurse the false sense of having provided comfort. However, for the woman, providing false assurance or reassurance actually closes off communication, trivializes her anxiety, and effectively denies any further talk of it.

ahriuashd

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

robbielu01

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library