This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A man has been admitted to the observation unit for observation after being treated for a large cut ... (Read 75 times)

ashley

A man has been admitted to the observation unit for observation after being treated for a large cut on his forehead. As the nurse works through the interview, one of the standard questions has to do with alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.

When the nurse asks him about tobacco use, he states, I quit smoking after my wife died 7 years ago. However, the nurse notices an open pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket. Using confrontation, the nurse could say:
  a.
  Mr. K., I know that you are lying.
  b.
  Mr. K., come on, tell me how much you smoke.
  c.
  Mr. K., I didn't realize your wife had died. It must be difficult for you at this time. Please tell me more about that.
  d.
  Mr. K., you have said that you don't smoke, but I see that you have an open pack of cigarettes in your pocket.

Question 2

A 17-year-old single mother is describing how difficult it is to raise a 3-year-old child by herself. During the course of the interview she states, I can't believe my boyfriend left me to do this by myself What a terrible thing to do to me

Which of these responses by the nurse uses empathy?

a.
  You feel alone.
  b.
  You can't believe he left you alone?
  c.
  It must be so hard to face this all alone.
  d.
  I would be angry, too; raising a child alone is no picnic.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

af

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
In the case of confrontation, a certain action, feeling, or statement has been observed, and the nurse now focuses the patient's attention on it. The nurse should give honest feedback about what is seen or felt. Confrontation may focus on a discrepancy, or the nurse may confront the patient when parts of the story are inconsistent. The other statements are not appropriate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
An empathetic response recognizes the feeling and puts it into words. It names the feeling, allows its expression, and strengthens rapport. Other empathetic responses are, This must be very hard for you, I understand, or simply placing your hand on the person's arm. Simply reflecting the person's words or agreeing with the person is not an empathetic response.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library