This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A woman is discussing the problems she is having with her 2-year-old son. She says, He won't go to ... (Read 76 times)

fasfsadfdsfa

A woman is discussing the problems she is having with her 2-year-old son. She says, He won't go to sleep at night, and during the day he has several fits. I get so upset when that happens. The nurse's best verbal response would be:

a. Go on, I'm listening.
  b. Fits? Tell me what you mean by this.
  c. Yes, it can be upsetting when a child has a fit.
  d. Don't be upset when he has a fit; every 2 year old has fits.

Question 2

When taking a history from a newly admitted patient, the nurse notices that he often pauses and expectantly looks at the nurse. What would be the nurse's best response to this behavior?

a. Be silent, and allow him to continue when he is ready.
  b. Smile at him and say, Don't worry about all of this. I'm sure we can find out why you're having these pains.
  c. Lean back in the chair and ask, You are looking at me kind of funny; there isn't anything wrong, is there?
  d. Stand up and say, I can see that this interview is uncomfortable for you. We can continue it another time.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lin77x

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The nurse should use clarification when the person's word choice is ambiguous or confusing (e.g., Tell me what you mean by fits.). Clarification is also used to summarize the person's words or to simplify the words to make them clearer; the nurse should then ask if he or she is on the right track.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Silent attentiveness communicates that the person has time to think and to organize what he or she wishes to say without an interruption from the nurse. Health professionals most often interrupt this thinking silence. The other responses are not conducive to ideal communication.

fasfsadfdsfa

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

shewald78

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library