Author Question: The nurse is teaching a client with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). What statement indicates a ... (Read 50 times)

SAVANNAHHOOPER23

The nurse is teaching a client with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). What statement indicates a lack of understanding by the client?

a. There should be no problem with a glass of wine with dinner each night.
  b. I am so glad that I weaned myself off of coffee about a year ago.
  c. I need to inform my allergist that I cannot take my normal decongestant.
  d. My normal routine of drinking a quart of water during exercise needs to change.

Question 2

A client has returned from a transurethral resection of the prostate with a continuous bladder irrigation. Which action by the nurse is a priority if bright red urinary drainage and clots are noted 5 hours after the surgery?

a. Review the hemoglobin and hematocrit as ordered.
  b. Take vital signs and notify the surgeon immediately.
  c. Release the traction on the three-way catheter.
  d. Remind the client not to pull on the catheter.

AaaA

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
This client did not associate wine with the avoidance of alcohol, and requires additional teaching. The nurse must teach a client with BPH to avoid alcohol, caffeine, and large quantities of fluid in a short amount of time to prevent overdistention of the bladder. Decongestants also need to be avoided to lower the chance for urinary retention.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Bright red urinary drainage with clots may indicate arterial bleeding. Vital signs should be taken and the surgeon notified. The traction on the three-way catheter should not be released since it places pressure at the surgical site to avoid bleeding. The nurse's review of hemoglobin and hematocrit and reminding the client not to pull on the catheter are good choices, but not the priority at this time.