Author Question: After teaching a client who has stress incontinence, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. ... (Read 41 times)

go.lag

After teaching a client who has stress incontinence, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I will limit my total intake of fluids.
  b. I must avoid drinking alcoholic beverages.
  c. I must avoid drinking caffeinated beverages.
  d. I shall try to lose about 10 of my body weight.

Question 2

A nurse cares for adult clients who experience urge incontinence. For which client should the nurse plan a habit training program?

a. A 78-year-old female who is confused
  b. A 65-year-old male with diabetes mellitus
  c. A 52-year-old female with kidney failure
  d. A 47-year-old male with arthritis

sailorcrescent

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Limiting fluids concentrates urine and can irritate tissues, leading to increased incontinence. Many people try to manage incontinence by limiting fluids. Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages are bladder stimulants. Obesity increases intra-abdominal pressure, causing incontinence.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
For a bladder training program to succeed in a client with urge incontinence, the client must be alert, aware, and able to resist the urge to urinate. Habit training will work best for a confused client. This includes going to the bathroom (or being assisted to the bathroom) at set times. The other clients may benefit from another type of bladder training.