Author Question: An emergency department nurse assesses a client with ketoacidosis. Which clinical manifestation ... (Read 24 times)

dollx

An emergency department nurse assesses a client with ketoacidosis. Which clinical manifestation should the nurse correlate with this condition?

a. Increased rate and depth of respiration
  b. Extremity tremors followed by seizure activity
  c. Oral temperature of 102  F (38.9  C)
  d. Severe orthostatic hypotension

Question 2

After teaching a client who has diabetes mellitus and proliferative retinopathy, nephropathy, and peripheral neuropathy, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I have so many complications; exercising is not recommended.
  b. I will exercise more frequently because I have so many complications.
  c. I used to run for exercise; I will start training for a marathon.
  d. I should look into swimming or water aerobics to get my exercise.

rachel

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Ketoacidosis decreases the pH of the blood, stimulating the respiratory control areas of the brain to buffer the effects of increasing acidosis. The rate and depth of respiration are increased (Kussmaul respirations) in an attempt to excrete more acids by exhalation. Tremors, elevated temperature, and orthostatic hypotension are not associated with ketoacidosis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Exercise is not contraindicated for this client, although modifications based on existing pathology are necessary to prevent further injury. Swimming or water aerobics will give the client exercise without the worry of having the correct shoes or developing a foot injury. The client should not exercise too vigorously.