This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse cares for a client with end-stage pancreatic cancer. The client asks, Why is this happening ... (Read 81 times)

cnetterville

A nurse cares for a client with end-stage pancreatic cancer. The client asks, Why is this happening to me? How should the nurse respond?

a. I don't know. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.
  b. It's important to keep a positive attitude for your family right now.
  c. Scientists have not determined why cancer develops in certain people.
  d. I think that this is a trial so you can become a better person because of it.

Question 2

A nurse assesses a client who is recovering from an open Whipple procedure. Which action should the nurse perform first?

a. Assess the client's endotracheal tube with 40 FiO2.
  b. Insert an indwelling Foley catheter to gravity drainage.
  c. Place the client's nasogastric tube to low intermittent suction.
  d. Start lactated Ringer's solution through an intravenous catheter.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bimper21

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The client is not asking the nurse to actually explain why the cancer has occurred. The client may be expressing his or her feelings of confusion, frustration, distress, and grief related to this diagnosis. Reminding the client to keep a positive attitude for his or her family does not address the client's emotions or current concerns. The nurse should validate that there is no easy or straightforward answer as to why the client has cancer. Telling a client that cancer is a trial is untrue and may diminish the client-nurse relationship.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Using the ABCs, airway and oxygenation status should always be assessed first, so checking the endotracheal tube is the first action. Next, the nurse should start the IV line (circulation). After that, the Foley catheter can be inserted and the nasogastric tube can be set.

cnetterville

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

gcook

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Carbamazepine can interfere with the results of home pregnancy tests. If you are taking carbamazepine, do not try to test for pregnancy at home.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library