Author Question: A nurse teaches a client how to avoid becoming ill with Salmonella infection again. Which statements ... (Read 23 times)

jc611

A nurse teaches a client how to avoid becoming ill with Salmonella infection again. Which statements should the nurse include in this client's teaching? (Select all that apply.)

a. Wash leafy vegetables carefully before eating or cooking them.
  b. Do not ingest water from the garden hose or the pool.
  c. Wash your hands before and after using the bathroom.
  d. Be sure meat is cooked to the proper temperature.
  e. Avoid eating eggs that are sunny side up or undercooked.

Question 2

After teaching a client with a parasitic gastrointestinal infection, a nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statements made by the client indicate that the client correctly understands the teaching? (Select all that apply.)

a. I'll have my housekeeper keep my toilet clean.
  b. I must take a shower or bathe every day.
  c. I should have my well water tested.
  d. I will ask my sexual partner to have a stool test.
  e. I must only eat raw vegetables from my own garden.

rnehls

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, C, D, E
Salmonella is usually contracted via contaminated eggs, beef, poultry, and green leafy vegetables. It is not transmitted through water in garden hoses or pools. Clients should wash leafy vegetables well, wash hands before and after using the restroom, make sure meat and eggs are cooked properly, and, because it can be transmitted by flies, keep flies off of food.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C, D
Parasitic infections can be transmitted to other people. The client himself or herself should keep the toilet area clean instead of possibly exposing another person to the disease. Parasites are transmitted via unclean water sources and sexual practices with rectal contact. The client should test his or her well water and ask sexual partners to have their stool examined for parasites. Raw vegetables are not associated with parasitic gastrointestinal infections. The client can eat vegetables from the store or a home garden as long as the water source is clean.