This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client who has a new colostomy, the nurse provides feedback based on the client's ... (Read 30 times)

geodog55

After teaching a client who has a new colostomy, the nurse provides feedback based on the client's ability to complete self-care activities. Which statement should the nurse include in this feedback?

a. I realize that you had a tough time today, but it will get easier with practice.
  b. You cleaned the stoma well. Now you need to practice putting on the appliance.
  c. You seem to understand what I taught you today. What else can I help you with?
  d. You seem uncomfortable. Do you want your daughter to care for your ostomy?

Question 2

After teaching a client who has diverticulitis, a nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I'll ride my bike or take a long walk at least three times a week.
  b. I must try to include at least 25 grams of fiber in my diet every day.
  c. I will take a laxative nightly at bedtime to avoid becoming constipated.
  d. I should use my legs rather than my back muscles when I lift heavy objects.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cici

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The nurse should provide both approval and room for improvement in feedback after a teaching session. Feedback should be objective and constructive, and not evaluative. Reassuring the client that things will improve does not offer anything concrete for the client to work on, nor does it let him or her know what was done well. The nurse should not make the client convey learning needs because the client may not know what else he or she needs to understand. The client needs to become the expert in self-management of the ostomy, and the nurse should not offer to teach the daughter instead of the client.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Laxatives are not recommended for clients with diverticulitis because they can increase pressure in the bowel, causing additional outpouching of the lumen. Exercise and a high-fiber diet are recommended for clients with diverticulitis because they promote regular bowel function. Using the leg muscles rather than the back for lifting prevents abdominal straining.

geodog55

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

mammy1697

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library