This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse cares for a middle-aged male client who has irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The client ... (Read 39 times)

Lisaclaire

A nurse cares for a middle-aged male client who has irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The client states, I have changed my diet and take bulk-forming laxatives, but my symptoms have not gotten better. I heard about a drug called Amitiza.

Do you think it might help? How should the nurse respond?

a.
  This drug is still in the research phase and is not available for public use yet.
  b.
  Unfortunately, lubiprostone is approved only for use in women.
  c.
  Lubiprostone works well. I will recommend this prescription to your provider.
  d.
  This drug should not be used with bulk-forming laxatives.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client who had a colostomy placed in the ascending colon 2 weeks ago. The client states, The stool in my pouch is still liquid. How should the nurse respond?

a. The stool will always be liquid with this type of colostomy.
  b. Eating additional fiber will bulk up your stool and decrease diarrhea.
  c. Your stool will become firmer over the next couple of weeks.
  d. This is abnormal. I will contact your health care provider.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

leahm14

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Lubiprostone (Amitiza) is a new drug for IBS with constipation that works by simulating receptors in the intestines to increase fluid and promote bowel transit time. Lubiprostone is currently approved only for use in women. Trials with increased numbers of male participants are needed prior to Food and Drug Administration approval for men.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The stool from an ascending colostomy can be expected to remain liquid because little large bowel is available to reabsorb the liquid from the stool. This finding is not abnormal. Liquid stool from an ascending colostomy will not become firmer with the addition of fiber to the client's diet or with the passage of time.

Lisaclaire

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Joy Chen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library