This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client who is recovering from a vertebroplasty, the nurse assesses the client's ... (Read 38 times)

ETearle

After teaching a client who is recovering from a vertebroplasty, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I can drive myself home after the procedure.
  b. I will monitor the puncture site for signs of infection.
  c. I can start walking tomorrow and increase my activity slowly.
  d. I will remove the dressing the day after discharge.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client who had a long-leg cast applied last week. The client states, I cannot seem to catch my breath and I feel a bit light-headed. Which action should the nurse take next?

a. Auscultate the client's lung fields anteriorly and posteriorly.
  b. Administer oxygen to keep saturations greater than 92.
  c. Check the client's blood glucose level.
  d. Ask the client to take deep breaths.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vickyvicksss

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Before discharge, a client who has a vertebroplasty should be taught to avoid driving or operating machinery for the first 24 hours. The client should monitor the puncture site for signs of infection. Usual activities can resume slowly, including walking and slowly increasing activity over the next few days. The client should keep the dressing dry and remove it the next day.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The client's symptoms are consistent with the development of pulmonary embolism caused by leg immobility in the long cast. The nurse should check the client's pulse oximetry reading and provide oxygen to keep saturations greater than 92Auscultating lung fields, checking blood glucose level, or deep breathing will not assist this client.

ETearle

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

triiciiaa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Vampire bats have a natural anticoagulant in their saliva that permits continuous bleeding after they painlessly open a wound with their incisors. This capillary blood does not cause any significant blood loss to their victims.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library