This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After teaching a client who is being discharged home after mitral valve replacement surgery, the ... (Read 70 times)

jman1234

After teaching a client who is being discharged home after mitral valve replacement surgery, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which client statement indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I'll be able to carry heavy loads after 6 months of rest.
  b. I will have my teeth cleaned by my dentist in 2 weeks.
  c. I must avoid eating foods high in vitamin K, like spinach.
  d. I must use an electric razor instead of a straight razor to shave.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client with infective endocarditis. Which infection control precautions should the nurse use?

a. Standard Precautions
  b. Bleeding precautions
  c. Reverse isolation
  d. Contact isolation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kbennett34

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Clients who have defective or repaired valves are at high risk for endocarditis. The client who has had valve surgery should avoid dental procedures for 6 months because of the risk for endocarditis. When undergoing a mitral valve replacement surgery, the client needs to be placed on anticoagulant therapy to prevent vegetation forming on the new valve. Clients on anticoagulant therapy should be instructed on bleeding precautions, including using an electric razor. If the client is prescribed warfarin, the client should avoid foods high in vitamin K. Clients recovering from open heart valve replacements should not carry anything heavy for 6 months while the chest incision and muscle heal.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The client with infective endocarditis does not pose any specific threat of transmitting the causative organism. Standard Precautions should be used. Bleeding precautions or reverse or contact isolation is not necessary.

jman1234

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

According to research, pregnant women tend to eat more if carrying a baby boy. Male fetuses may secrete a chemical that stimulates their mothers to step up her energy intake.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library