This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse assesses a client admitted to the cardiac unit. Which statement by the client alerts the ... (Read 29 times)

stock

A nurse assesses a client admitted to the cardiac unit. Which statement by the client alerts the nurse to the possibility of right-sided heart failure?

a. I sleep with four pillows at night.
  b. My shoes fit really tight lately.
  c. I wake up coughing every night.
  d. I have trouble catching my breath.

Question 2

A nurse assesses a client in an outpatient clinic. Which statement alerts the nurse to the possibility of left-sided heart failure?

a. I have been drinking more water than usual.
  b. I am awakened by the need to urinate at night.
  c. I must stop halfway up the stairs to catch my breath.
  d. I have experienced blurred vision on several occasions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Laurenleakan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Signs of systemic congestion occur with right-sided heart failure. Fluid is retained, pressure builds in the venous system, and peripheral edema develops. Left-sided heart failure symptoms include respiratory symptoms. Orthopnea, coughing, and difficulty breathing all could be results of left-sided heart failure.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Clients with left-sided heart failure report weakness or fatigue while performing normal activities of daily living, as well as difficulty breathing, or catching their breath. This occurs as fluid moves into the alveoli. Nocturia is often seen with right-sided heart failure. Thirst and blurred vision are not related to heart failure.

stock

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

DylanD1323

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library