Author Question: A nurse assists with the cardioversion of a client experiencing acute atrial fibrillation. Which ... (Read 75 times)

Marty

A nurse assists with the cardioversion of a client experiencing acute atrial fibrillation. Which action should the nurse take prior to the initiation of cardioversion?

a. Administer intravenous adenosine.
  b. Turn off oxygen therapy.
  c. Ensure a tongue blade is available.
  d. Position the client on the left side.

Question 2

After teaching a client who has an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD), a nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement by the client indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I should wear a snug-fitting shirt over the ICD.
  b. I will avoid sources of strong electromagnetic fields.
  c. I should participate in a strenuous exercise program.
  d. Now I can discontinue my antidysrhythmic medication.

Pswine

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
For safety during cardioversion, the nurse should turn off any oxygen therapy to prevent fire. The other interventions are not appropriate for a cardioversion. The client should be placed in a supine position.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The client being discharged with an ICD is instructed to avoid strong sources of electromagnetic fields. Clients should avoid tight clothing, which could cause irritation over the ICD generator. The client should be encouraged to exercise but should not engage in strenuous activities that cause the heart rate to meet or exceed the ICD cutoff point because the ICD can discharge inappropriately. The client should continue all prescribed medications.