Author Question: A nurse collaborates with a respiratory therapist to complete pulmonary function tests (PFTs) for a ... (Read 33 times)

Mr3Hunna

A nurse collaborates with a respiratory therapist to complete pulmonary function tests (PFTs) for a client. Which statements should the nurse include in communications with the respiratory therapist prior to the tests? (Select all that apply.)

a. I held the client's morning bronchodilator medication.
  b. The client is ready to go down to radiology for this examination.
  c. Physical therapy states the client can run on a treadmill.
  d. I advised the client not to smoke for 6 hours prior to the test.
  e. The client is alert and can follow your commands.

Question 2

A nurse assesses a 66-year-old client who is attempting to quit smoking. The client states, I started smoking at age 16, and smoked one pack each day until 10 years ago. Then I decreased to a half of a pack per day.

How many pack-years should the nurse document for this client? (Record your answer using a whole number.) ___ pack-years

duy1981999

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, D, E
To ensure the PFTs are accurate, the therapist needs to know that no bronchodilators have been administered in the past 4 to 6 hours, the client did not smoke within 6 to 8 hours prior to the test, and the client can follow basic commands, including different breathing maneuvers. The respiratory therapist can perform PFTs at the bedside. A treadmill is not used for this test.

Answer to Question 2

ANS:
45 pack-years
66 (current age) - 16 (year started smoking) = 50 years of smoking.
(40 years  1 pack per day) + (10 years  0.5 pack per day) = 45 pack-years.