This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An emergency room nurse assesses a client who was rescued from a home fire. The client suddenly ... (Read 52 times)

jace

An emergency room nurse assesses a client who was rescued from a home fire. The client suddenly develops a loud, brassy cough. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Apply oxygen and continuous pulse oximetry.
  b. Provide small quantities of ice chips and sips of water.
  c. Request a prescription for an antitussive medication.
  d. Ask the respiratory therapist to provide humidified air.

Question 2

The nurse teaches burn prevention to a community group. Which statement by a member of the group should cause the nurse the greatest concern?

a. I get my chimney swept every other year.
  b. My hot water heater is set at 120 degrees.
  c. Sometimes I wake up at night and smoke.
  d. I use a space heater when it gets below zero.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

alexanderhamilton

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Brassy cough and wheezing are some of the signs seen with inhalation injury. The first action by the nurse is to give the client oxygen. Clients with possible inhalation injury also need continuous pulse oximetry. Ice chips and humidified room air will not help the problem, and antitussives are not warranted.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
House fires are a common occurrence and often lead to serious injury or death. The nurse should be most concerned about a person who wakes up at night and smokes. The nurse needs to question this person about whether he or she gets out of bed to do so, or if this person stays in bed, which could lead to falling back asleep with a lighted cigarette. Although it is recommended to have chimneys swept every year, skipping a year does not pose as much danger as smoking in bed, particularly if the person does not burn wood frequently. Water heaters should be set below 140  F. Space heaters should be used with caution, and the nurse may want to ensure that the person does not allow it to get near clothing or bedding.

jace

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library