This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is in the hospital and receiving IV antibiotics. When the nurse answers the client's call ... (Read 30 times)

theo

A client is in the hospital and receiving IV antibiotics. When the nurse answers the client's call light, the client presents an appearance as shown below:

What action by the nurse takes priority?
  a.
  Administer epinephrine 1:1000, 0.3 mg IV push immediately.
  b.
  Apply oxygen by facemask at 100 and a pulse oximeter.
  c.
  Ensure a patent airway while calling the Rapid Response Team.
  d.
  Reassure the client that these manifestations will go away.

Question 2

A nurse has educated a client on an epinephrine auto-injector (EpiPen). What statement by the client indicates additional instruction is needed?

a. I don't need to go to the hospital after using it.
  b. I must carry two EpiPens with me at all times.
  c. I will write the expiration date on my calendar.
  d. This can be injected right through my clothes.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

carlsona147

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The nurse should ensure the client's airway is patent and either call the Rapid Response Team or delegate this to someone else. Epinephrine needs to be administered right away, but not without a prescription by the physician unless standing orders exist. The client may need oxygen, but a patent airway comes first. Reassurance is important, but airway and calling the Rapid Response Team are the priorities.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Clients should be instructed to call 911 and go to the hospital for monitoring after using the EpiPen. The other statements show good understanding of this treatment.

theo

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

anyusername12131

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library