This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An intensive care nurse discusses withdrawal of care with a client's family. The family expresses ... (Read 67 times)

luminitza

An intensive care nurse discusses withdrawal of care with a client's family. The family expresses concerns related to discontinuation of therapy. How should the nurse respond?

a. I understand your concerns, but in this state, discontinuation of care is not a form of active euthanasia.
  b. You will need to talk to the provider because I am not legally allowed to participate in the withdrawal of life support.
  c. I realize this is a difficult decision. Discontinuation of therapy will allow the client to die a natural death.
  d. There is no need to worry. Most religious organizations support the client's decision to stop medical treatment.

Question 2

A nurse assesses a client who is dying. Which manifestation of a dying client should the nurse assess to determine whether the client is near death?

a. Level of consciousness
  b. Respiratory rate
  c. Bowel sounds
  d. Pain level on a 0-to-10 scale

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

234sdffa

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The nurse should validate the family's concerns and provide accurate information about the discontinuation of therapy. The other statements address specific issues related to the withdrawal of care but do not provide appropriate information about their purpose. If the client's family asks for specific information about euthanasia, legal, or religious issues, the nurse should provide unbiased information about these topics.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Although all of these assessments should be performed during the dying process, periods of apnea and Cheyne-Strokes respirations indicate death is near. As peripheral circulation decreases, the client's level of consciousness and bowel sounds decrease, and the client would be unable to provide a numeric number on a pain scale. Even with these other symptoms, the nurse should continue to assess respiratory rate throughout the dying process. As the rate drops significantly and breathing becomes agonal, death is near.

luminitza

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ebonylittles

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library