This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a dying client. The client's spouse states, I think he is choking to death. ... (Read 72 times)

MirandaLo

A nurse is caring for a dying client. The client's spouse states, I think he is choking to death. How should the nurse respond?

a. Do not worry. The choking sound is normal during the dying process.
  b. I will administer more morphine to keep your husband comfortable.
  c. I can ask the respiratory therapist to suction secretions out through his nose.
  d. I will have another nurse assist me to turn your husband on his side.

Question 2

A nurse teaches a client who is considering being admitted to hospice. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching?

a. Hospice admission has specific criteria. You may not be a viable candidate, so we will look at alternative plans for your discharge.
  b. Hospice care focuses on a holistic approach to health care. It is designed not to hasten death, but rather to relieve symptoms.
  c. Hospice care will not help with your symptoms of depression. I will refer you to the facility's counseling services instead.
  d. You seem to be experiencing some difficulty with this stage of the grieving process. Let's talk about your feelings.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

momo1250

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The choking sound or death rattle is common in dying clients. The nurse should acknowledge the spouse's concerns and provide interventions that will reduce the choking sounds. Repositioning the client onto one side with a towel under the mouth to collect secretions is the best intervention. The nurse should not minimize the spouse's concerns. Morphine will assist with comfort but will not decrease the choking sounds. Nasotracheal suctioning is not appropriate in a dying client.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
As both a philosophy and a system of care, hospice care uses an interdisciplinary approach to assess and address the holistic needs of clients and families to facilitate quality of life and a peaceful death. This holistic approach neither hastens nor postpones death but provides relief of symptoms experienced by the dying client.

MirandaLo

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

at

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library