Author Question: If I move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen, what happens to my money? (Read 1490 times)

j_sun

This is a consideration I've been having over the past year, with a terrible job market for my profession. But, what happens to my money, if I choose to make it a "permanent" move, and eventually become a Canadian citizen?

- The money I have in my bank accounts?
 - My IRA(s)?

Sandstorm

You have to leave your US currency at the border.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

geoffrey

It is magically converted into Canadian at the current exchange rate.

formula1

if you make money on your money you pay taxes like everyone else does.

penguins

If you move to Canada, move your money!  IRAs can invest internationally, especially self-directed IRA - e.g. you could invest in income property in a foreign country (Canada or elsewhere).  You need some good financial advice from people with international experience, not your run-of-the-mill US investment advisor or current IRA custodian.

Some good recommendations for experienced, reliable people with international expertise come from newsletters for expats like liveandinvestoverse as.com, internationalliving .com, escapeartist.com, and from financial newletters with an international perspective such as sovereignsociety.co m, internationalman.co m, sovereignman.com, etc.  Sign up for their free e-newsletters to start educating yourself on the sorts of opportunities available, what to look for in an investment advisor, etc.  Do your homework or Obummer will take all the moolah!  You need it for your own retirement, so start to learn how right now!  It ain't rocket science - just a matter of doing some homework.

hummingbird

You can move your funds alongwith you that's not a big issue you can discuss your financial advisor about the same. I wonder you are worrying on minor issues rather than discussing the core issue that is how could you move from US to Canada.

Good Luck....

Yolanda

You can open a Canadian bank account, or leave your money where it is.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library