Author Question: If harmful products make up only a little part of China?s exports why do you think it attracts such attention? (Read 1618 times)

Hungry!

If tainted or dangerous products make up no more than a fraction of China?s exports, why do you think the issue has attracted so much international attention? ---Homework please no bad or irrelevant comments.
By the way it is urgent

Sandstorm

The news media needs something to talk about.

We like to pick on others.

Especially where children are involved, parents need to be informed so they can protect their children.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

geoffrey

It only makes up a small percentage of China's exports because China exports so many goods. Hundreds of thousands of goods have been recalled that were manufactured in China. The toys that are being recalled have probably always had lead paint; but the government is just now paying attention, that is why there has been one recall after another. When thousands of kids have been in contact with something that could give them lead poisoning, it is a big deal.

coco

You ask "why do you think" and that's just it, I think. There are so many imports from China, including most all of our penicillin and one third of our Tylenol. Almost every toy in any store, ingredients for pet food, candy, cookies and fish. Personal products, appliances, just about anything you can name. Now, some products have been found to be harmful, some fatal. How many more are yet to be found. Only a small fraction of products have been tested. What are we using every day or what toys are our children playing with that haven't yet been tested.
Do you think that the medicine, pet food, toothpaste and the millions of toys are the only health hazards? No way, not even close.

ricki

You have got to be kidding.

Next time you get on a airplane, how would you feel if only some of the parts used to build the plane are defective?

There is no excuse for any product defects that threaten the health and well being of the public.  This is ingrained in the business conscience of American companies.

China, on the other hand, has very little business ethics.  They have no regard to quality control.  They are entirely price driven and have a complete disregard to worker safety.  If they don't care for their own citizens, do you realy thing they care about you?

Post script:  I just opened the paper today and read that another Chinese made toy called Aqua-dots has been recalled because the manuacturer used a cheaper chemical than specified.  Turns out the cheaper chemical metabolizes into the date rape drug.  Unbelievable?  Not when China is involved.

ricki

I believe that there are several reasons why this is drawing so much attention:

1.  News reporters need something to talk about.
2.  It is affecting children which for some reason draws more attention than if it were affecting adults.
3.  The US economy is slowing down so I am sure that people are asking 'Why aren't these manufacturing jobs being brought back home within our own borders instead of farming 'our' jobs to other countries'?
4.  China is hosting the Olympics next summer (I think it is next summer) so I am sure that some statistician will figure some sort of correlation there (tainted products and Americans who go to the Olympics).  Statisticians need a job too you know!
5.  Quality issues.
6.  Trade deficeit.  
7.  The Holiday season is upon us, I am sure that the retailers will feel the affect of these recalled products.

Personally, my issue with this is:  there are going to be more laws, criteria, more people working at shipyards, quality control inspectors hired, etc... to inspect and raise standards of goods shipped into this country.  All these extra expenses are going to be created when goods will continued to be shipped and brought into this country and tainted goods will continue to get past these inspectors.  Essentially we're not putting the money towards something that will work, we're throwing the money down the drain.  The problems are going to perpetuate no matter whether it's $10M vs $100M that is budgeted to solve these issues.  It is a complete waste of time and effort.  

What I would like to see happen is all those manufacturing jobs come back home to the United States.  Hire Americans to make these products, don't farm these jobs overseas or across the border.  Businesses will also have direct control over how their products are made and the quality of their products will most likely be better.  Besides we need those jobs here so that people can earn a living, provide shelter for their families, put food on the table.  Employing Americans will also increase our tax base.  Public services will be able to loosen their purse strings on their budgets a bit.

Wouldn't you like to purchase something at the store that you know a fellow American made?  Perhaps it could be your neighbor or the person that decides to purchase your home that you have had on the market for the last 10 months?  I could go for that!  Couldn't you?

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library