Author Question: The nurse is planning health promotion activities for a toddler-age child during a scheduled health ... (Read 33 times)

Deast7027

The nurse is planning health promotion activities for a toddler-age child during a scheduled health maintenance visit. Which action by the nurse is appropriate during this visit?

1. Connecting developmental skills with risks for injury
  2. Recognizing that childcare attendance increases the risk for communicable disease
  3. Planning education for treatment of common disease processes
  4. Illustrating developmental progression on a screening tool

Question 2

The nurse is teaching the parents of a toddler-age child information regarding toy and playground safety. Which parental statement indicates the need for further education?

1. I allow my child to play with the packaging material for new toys.
  2. I will avoid buying my child toys that are battery operated.
  3. I allow my child to play with age-appropriate toys as indicated on the packaging.
  4. I don't let my child play on the playground without supervision.

bigcheese9

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. Connecting developmental skills with risks for injury is an action that prevents disease and injury. This is not a health promotion activity.
2. Recognizing that attendance at a daycare center increases the risk for communicable disease is an action that prevents disease and injury. This is not a health promotion activity.
3. Planning treatment for common disease processes is an action that prevents disease and injury. This is not a health promotion activity.
4. Illustrating developmental progression on a screening tool is a health promotion action.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. The toddler-age child should not be allowed to play with packaging material for new toys as this increases the risk of injury. This statement indicates the need for further education.
2. The toddler-age child should not be allowed to play with battery-operated toys. This is not appropriate until the child is 8 years of age. This statement indicates appropriate understanding of the information presented.
3. The toddler-age child should be provided with toys that are age-appropriate. A parent who buys the child toys based on the age range on the packaging is appropriate and does not indicate the need for further education.
4. The toddler-age child should not be allowed to play on the playground without supervision. This statement indicates appropriate understanding of the information presented.