Author Question: The mother of a 22-month-old child states, My child does not seem to be developing like my sister's ... (Read 80 times)

09madisonrousseau09

The mother of a 22-month-old child states, My child does not seem to be developing like my sister's daughter, who is the same age. Which screening test should the nurse plan to conduct based on the current data?

1. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the head
  2. An electroencephalogra m (EEG)
  3. A Denver II
  4. Chromosomal study

Question 2

The nurse provides education to the parents of a 7-month-old infant regarding play. Which parental responses indicate accurate understanding of the information presented? Select all that apply.

1. I should offer my baby toys that are black and white.
  2. My baby will prefer stuffed animals during this stage of development.
  3. I should offer my baby a teething ring during this stage of development.
  4. My baby will want to interact with other people.
  5. I should offer my baby large blocks to stack while sitting on the floor.

chreslie

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. The MRI is a diagnostic test, not a screening test, and it is not performed by the nurse.
2. An electroencephalogra m evaluates brains wave activity of the brain. It does not evaluate the child's behavior.
3. The Denver Developmental Screening Test II is a tool used by the nurse that evaluates language and development.
4. A chromosomal test is not a screening test but a diagnostic test. It is not performed to determine developmental delay.

Answer to Question 2

3, 4
Explanation:
1. Black and white toys are often preferred by infants from birth to 3 months, not at 7 months. The statement indicates the need for further education.
2. Stuffed animals are often enjoyed by infants between 3 months and 6 months, not at 7 months. The statement indicates the need for further education.
3. Many babies are teething by 7 months of age; therefore, it is appropriate to offer the infant a teething ring. This statement indicates accurate understanding of the information presented.
4. By 6 to 9 months of age, the infant will enjoy interacting with other people. This statement indicates appropriate understanding of the information presented.
5. Stacking blocks is not a skill acquired until 9 to 12 months of age. This statement indicates the need for further education.