Author Question: Which factor, noted by the nurse during the pediatric health history portion of the assessment ... (Read 60 times)

rl

Which factor, noted by the nurse during the pediatric health history portion of the assessment process, would indicate the child is at risk for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?

1. Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine
  2. Advanced parental age
  3. Prenatal exposure to smoke
  4. Immune response

Question 2

The nurse is teaching new parents how to communicate with their infant. Which response by the parents indicates accurate understanding of the information presented?

1. I will prop the bottle while my baby is in the carseat so that I can cook dinner.
  2. I will use a low-pitched voice while talking to my baby as this is most appropriate.
  3. I will unwrap my baby when she is upset to allow interaction with the environment.
  4. I will talk and sing to my baby while I am providing daily care, including diaper changes.

Sarahjh

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine has been thought to be associated with autism spectrum disorder, though a relationship has never been established through research.
2. Advanced parental age has been associated with autism spectrum disorders.
3. Research shows that a mother's use of cigarettes during pregnancy can increase the risk for ADHD.
4. Immune response can be associated with autism spectrum disorders.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. Parents should hold their babies during feedings as a method of communicating with their infants. This parental response indicates the need for further education.
2. Parents should use a high-pitched, not low-pitched, voice when talking with their infant children. This parental response indicates the need for further education.
3. Parents should swaddle and hold their infants when they are upset as a communication method. Unwrapping the baby when the baby is upset indicates the need for further education.
4. Parents should talk and sing to their infants while providing daily care, such as diaper changes. This parental response indicates accurate understanding of the information presented.