Author Question: A teacher states to the school nurse, I have a student who will often just stare at me for 15 ... (Read 26 times)

Tirant22

A teacher states to the school nurse, I have a student who will often just stare at me for 15 seconds after asking a question; then the student blinks and asks me to repeat the question. Should I be concerned? Which should the nurse include in the response to the teacher?

1. The child has a crush on the teacher.
  2. The child has increased intracranial pressure.
  3. The child may have had a head injury.
  4. The child is experiencing absence seizures.

Question 2

The nurse is reviewing the medical record for a postpartum client. Which findings would necessitate the need for the nurse to monitor the client closely for the development of thrombophlebitis? Select all that apply.

1. Vaginal birth
  2. 25 years of age
  3. History of diabetes mellitus
  4. Current smoker
  5. Laboratory values indicating anemia

sarahccccc

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. There are no data to suspect a childhood crush is creating the situation.
2. There is no indication of increased intracranial pressure.
3. There is no indication of a head injury.
4. Absence seizures may cause staring and blinking; they are more common in girls in this age group and often are first noticed by the classroom teacher.

Answer to Question 2

3, 4, 5
Explanation:
1. A cesarean, not vaginal, birth increases the postpartum client's risk for the development of thrombophlebitis.
2. Advanced maternal age increases the postpartum client's risk for the development of thrombophlebitis. The 25-year-old postpartum client does not have an increased risk for thrombophlebitis.
3. A history of diabetes mellitus is a risk factor for the development of thrombophlebitis during the postpartum period.
4. Cigarette smoking is a risk factor for thrombophlebitis during the postpartum period.
5. Anemia is a risk factor for the development of thrombophlebitis during the postpartum period.