Author Question: A pregnant client is receiving the results of perinatal testing. Which statement indicates that the ... (Read 16 times)

robinn137

A pregnant client is receiving the results of perinatal testing. Which statement indicates that the client understands the test result?

1. Because my contraction stress test was positive, we know that my baby will tolerate labor well.
  2. The reactive non-stress test means that my baby is not growing because of a lack of oxygen.
  3. My biophysical profile score of 6 points indicates everything being normal and healthy for my baby.
  4. The normal Doppler velocimetry wave result indicates my placenta is getting enough blood to the baby.

Question 2

What should the nurse do when assisting a pregnant client who is having an abdominal ultrasound to determine fetal age?

1. Has the woman empty her bladder before the test begins
  2. Assists the woman into a supine position on the examining table
  3. Asks the woman to sign an operative consent form prior to the procedure
  4. Instructs the woman to eat a fat-free meal 2 hours before the scheduled test time

lauravaras

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. A contraction stress test creates mild contractions. The presence of decelerations is termed a positive result and indicates a lack of adequate placental functioning.
2. The non-stress test utilizes external fetal monitoring to assess the fetal heart rate in relationship to fetal movement. When accelerations in the fetal heart rate are associated with fetal movement (a reactive result), the fetus is well oxygenated, and the placenta is functioning well.
3. The biophysical profile score should be 8 (with adequate amniotic fluid) or 10. A score of 6 is abnormal and indicates that further assessment is needed.
4. The Doppler velocimetry test looks at blood flow through the umbilical artery. A normal result indicates there is no vasospasm decreasing blood flow to the placenta; therefore, the baby is getting an adequate blood supply.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. The recommendation is that the client should have a full bladder to help elevate the uterus out of the pelvic cavity for better visualization.
2. Clients are placed in a supine position on the table.
3. Abdominal ultrasounds are not invasive procedures and do not require a consent form.
4. Dietary intake is not relevant to the ultrasound.