Author Question: Which diagnostic test should the nurse question if prescribed for a client with pelvic inflammatory ... (Read 43 times)

melina_rosy

Which diagnostic test should the nurse question if prescribed for a client with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?

1. RPR (rapid plasma reagin)
  2. Throat culture for streptococcus A
  3. Vaginal culture for Neisseria gonorrhoeae
  4. CBC (complete blood count) with differential

Question 2

The nurse is discharging a client after hospitalization for pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Which statements indicate that teaching was effective? Select all that apply.

1. Tubal pregnancy could occur after PID.
  2. My PID was caused by a yeast infection.
  3. It is important for me to finish my antibiotics.
  4. I might have infertility because of this infection.
  5. I am going to have an IUD placed for contraception.

ong527

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. RPR is a test for syphilis, another cause of PID.
2. Streptococcal infection of the throat is not associated with PID.
3. Gonorrhea is a common cause of PID, and the client should be tested for this.
4. CBC with differential will give an indication of the severity of the infection.

Answer to Question 2

3, 4
Explanation:
1. There is no evidence to support that PID increases the risk of tubal pregnancies.
2. PID is caused by bacteria, most commonly Chlamydia trachomatis or Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Yeast infections do not ascend and become upper reproductive tract infections.
3. Antibiotic therapy should always be completed when a client is diagnosed with any infection.
4. Women sometimes become infertile because of scarring in the fallopian tubes as a result of the inflammation of PID.
5. An intrauterine device (IUD) in place increases the risk of developing PID; a client who has a history of PID is not a good candidate for an IUD.