Author Question: The child states, I hate losing my hair during chemotherapy. Which of the following interventions is ... (Read 22 times)

cagreen833

The child states, I hate losing my hair during chemotherapy. Which of the following interventions is important to the care of the child?

1. A wig similar to the usual hair style can be purchased.
   2. Playing with others should include cancer survivors with hair loss.
   3. Discuss the benefits of therapy with the child and caregivers.
   4. Discuss feelings of the change and concerns with the child.

Question 2

The complementary method of guided imagery for pain relief is used with a 5-year-old when the nurse:

a. Helps the child identify muscle groups to tense and relax
  b. Asks the child to close her eyes and tell about Christmas
  c. Encourages the child to blow a bubble big enough to take a ride in
  d. Asks the child to recite a prayer

srodz

Answer to Question 1

Feedback
1. Attempting to cover the head with a wig needs to be discussed with the child before attempting to purchase it.
2. The child should be playing with children that he/she feels most comfortable with. This does not address the concerns of the patient at this time.
3. This does not address the child's concerns and needs to focus on the body image issue at this time.
4. The child needs an opportunity to discuss feelings about the changes in body image.

Answer to Question 2

B
Guided imagery uses pleasant mental images of events or times that will make the child less afraid and more comfortable.