Author Question: Common adverse effects of chemotherapy are nausea and vomiting. As a result, the nurse should ... (Read 28 times)

Metfan725

Common adverse effects of chemotherapy are nausea and vomiting. As a result, the nurse should initiate which of the following nursing actions?

1. Remove food with a lot of color.
   2. Wait until the nausea begins to administer the antiemetic as ordered.
   3. Give an antiemetic 30 minutes before the start of chemotherapy.
   4. Establish a nothing by mouth status during chemotherapy.

Question 2

If a nurse suspects that a 2-month-old infant's death was related to SIDS, what statement made by the mother reflects an accurate understanding of SIDS?

1. I knew that I should not have given our baby the antibiotics for the ear infection..
   2. Being a twin with low birth weight, he didn't have a chance..
   3. I should not have fed him that eight-ounce bottle before laying him down..
   4. I am having a hard time not knowing what happened. I had just checked on him 20 minutes earlier in the crib, and he was sleeping on his back..

perkiness

Answer to Question 1

Feedback
1. Food in general may make the child have nausea and cause vomiting.
2. An antiemetic should be provided 30 minutes prior to chemotherapy to prevent the feelings of nausea and vomiting.
3. The onset of the antiemetic will occur with the start of chemotherapy and prevent nausea.
4. The patient can have food throughout chemotherapy if they feel well enough for food.

Answer to Question 2

Feedback
1. SIDS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Antibiotics are not known to cause SIDS.
2. A lower birth weight child is at more risk, but is not the only reason SIDS can occur.
3. The amount of feeding does not influence the occurrence of SIDS.
4. SIDS is a diagnosis of exclusion. It is difficult to know what exactly causes the death in SIDS cases.