Author Question: A nurse in the pediatric orthopedic clinic is giving discharge teaching to the parents of a child ... (Read 33 times)

frankwu

A nurse in the pediatric orthopedic clinic is giving discharge teaching to the parents of a child with scoliosis on how to use a brace. Which statement by the parent would indicate the need for further education?

1. I will encourage my child to practice the physical therapy exercises..
   2. I will have my child wear soft clothing under her brace to prevent skin breakdown..
   3. I should apply lotion under the brace to help prevent skin breakdown..
   4. I should not use powder under the brace because it can cause a buildup and be irritating..

Question 2

The nurse who is talking on the telephone with a depressed adolescent recognizes that the statement indicating the greatest immediate suicide risk is:

a. I just needed to talk to someone to keep myself from thinking silly thoughts about killing myself..
  b. My parents aren't home and won't be back for 4 hours. That should be enough time for the pills to work. I've got a hundred of them..
  c. My dad will be home first, so he'll find me. So I think I'll use his gun. I hope he didn't lock the cabinet..
  d. My girlfriend is here with me. She told me to call because I was talking crazy about killing myself..

tashiedavis420

Answer to Question 1

Feedback
1. Physical therapy will help maintain optimum health for the child.
2. Soft clothing will help reduce irritation with the brace.
3. Lotion causes moisture to build up and create more skin damage.
4. Powder buildup can be irritating to the skin with a brace.

Answer to Question 2

C
The risk of death increases when there is a definite plan of action, the means are readily available, and the person has few resources for help and support.