This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has asked a child to rate her pain on a scale of 0 to 10 . The child ranks the pain at a 5 ... (Read 60 times)

londonang

The nurse has asked a child to rate her pain on a scale of 0 to 10 . The child ranks the pain at a 5 . The nurse will chart this in which of the following ways?

a. ranks pain at a 5 c. admits to a moderate level of pain
  b. states pain is at a 5 on a 10-point scale d. midpoint of scale in terms of pain

Question 2

A 9 month old is admitted to the pediatric unit for seizures of unknown origin. The child has an EEG performed for several hours. The EEG notes several seizures occurring at different intervals. The nurse knows this child:

1. Will develop at the same rate as his peers.
   2. May have severe mental and physical challenges due to the frequent seizure activity.
   3. May exhibit a slight cognitive delay as he grows.
   4. Will grow out of having seizures.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sylvia

Answer to Question 1

B

Feedback
A Incorrect: The scale points should be documented then recording the child's measure of pain (i.e., rates pain 5 out of 10 rather than rates pain a 5).
B Correct: For the verbal child, the pain assessment scale of 0 to 10 or 0 to 5 may be the simplest and best understood. Here the nurse asks the child to rate pain on a scale there zero is no pain and the higher number is the worst pain you can imagine. The scale points should be documented then recording the child's measure of pain (i.e., rates pain 5 out of 10 rather than rates pain a 5).
C Incorrect: The scale points should be documented then recording the child's measure of pain (i.e., rates pain 5 out of 10 rather than rates pain a 5). Converting the numeric value to a verbal description is not considered as the best approach.
D Incorrect: The scale points should be documented then recording the child's measure of pain (i.e., rates pain 5 out of 10 rather than rates pain a 5). Converting the numeric value to a verbal description is not considered as the best approach.

Answer to Question 2

Feedback
1. The continual seizure activity can cause hypoxia to the brain.
2. The frequency of the seizures causes hypoxia to the brain, increasing the chance for mental and physical challenges.
3. The frequency of the seizures will increase the level of cognitive delays.
4. Because of the type of seizures, the child will not grow out of having seizures.

londonang

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ricroger

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library