Author Question: The nurse evaluating a family's progress in successfully dealing with the problem of nocturnal ... (Read 29 times)

notis

The nurse evaluating a family's progress in successfully dealing with the problem of nocturnal enuresis would consider that the family still needs help and monthly appointments until the child achieves which of the following goals?

a. one 24-hour period of being dry
  b. remaining dry overnight at a friend's house
  c. a 72-hour period remaining dry
  d. 14 consecutive dry nights

Question 2

The nurse has been caring for a child in the home who has a tracheostomy and is oxygen dependent. The nurse wants to do the care in the morning due to the geographic location of the seven children in the caseload.

The family requests the care be done after lunch because it fits their schedule better. Select the best response by the nurse. a. I'm sorry. It is impossible for me to do this in the afternoon. I wish I could, but I cannot.
  b. If I give the care in the afternoon, it means that six other children's schedules have to be rearranged and that is not fair to them.
  c. Let's look at what time is in the child's best interest and then at what you and I can change to better accommodate that.
  d. I will see if the home health agency can find another nurse who can meet your preferred schedule.

jessicaduplan

Answer to Question 1

D

Feedback
A Incorrect. Monthly appointments may be necessary until the child achieves 14 consecutive dry nights, not one 24-hour period of being dry.
B Incorrect. Monthly appointments may be necessary until the child achieves 14 consecutive dry nights, not upon remaining dry overnight at a friend's house.
C Incorrect. Monthly appointments may be necessary until the child achieves 14 consecutive dry nights, not a 72-hour period remaining dry.
D Correct. Evaluation is based upon the family's report of the child's progress with the program. Families are instructed to follow up with the nurse by telephone 1 week after starting the program or sooner if problems develop. Monthly appointments may be necessary until the child achieves 14 consecutive dry nights.

Answer to Question 2

C

Feedback
A Incorrect. The home care nurse needs to respect the family's wishes and be flexible so this is not the best response.
B Incorrect. The home care nurse needs to respect the family's wishes and be flexible. This is not the best response.
C Correct. The nurse should always act in the best interests of the child and the family. This is the best resonse.
D Incorrect. The home care nurse needs to respect the family's wishes and be flexible and should not find another nurse to meet the familiy's schedule.