Author Question: The nurse is preparing to give an intravenous medication to a child. Which of the following actions ... (Read 32 times)

bcretired

The nurse is preparing to give an intravenous medication to a child. Which of the following actions by the nurse would most help avoid unnecessary anxiety?

a. Have the medication prepared and ready to administer before entering the child's room.
  b. Have the health care practitioner talk to the caregivers about the intravenous medication.
  c. Tell the child about the needle stick, the hurt, the medication, and why the child needs it.
  d. Give the caregivers the medication insert or the drug guide so they can read about the medicine firsthand.

Question 2

You are the nurse working with the caregivers of a child who is being discharged from the pediatric unit of the hospital. You have been teaching the caregivers about safe storage, use, and disposal of medicines.

Which of the following statements by one of the caregivers would indicate he or she had understood your teachings? a. When we get home, we are going to give our baby her candy (medicine) just like you told us: every day at the same times.
  b. We will give her the antibiotic every day until it is finished and not save any of it.
  c. My brother's boy is coming down with something similar to what our girl had, so I told him he should try some of our medicine.
  d. I think I have this same prescription at home already from my sickness, so I understand I can use it, as long as it's the correct dosage for a child.

katheyjon

Answer to Question 1

A

Feedback
A Correct. If possible, the intravenous medication should be ready for administration before entering the child's room to avoid causing unnecessary anxiety.
B Incorrect. In preparing to give an intravenous medication to a child, to help avoid unnecessary anxiety, the nurse would not have the health care practitioner talk to the caregivers about the intravenous medication.
C Incorrect. In preparing to give an intravenous medication to a child, to help avoid unnecessary anxiety, the nurse would not tell the child about the needle stick, the hurt, the medication, and why the child needs it.
D Incorrect. In preparing to give an intravenous medication to a child, to help avoid unnecessary anxiety, the nurse would not give the caregivers the medication insert or the drug guide so they can read about the medicine firsthand.

Answer to Question 2

B

Feedback
A Incorrect. Teaching the caregivers of a child being discharged from the hospital about safe storage, use, and disposal of medicines, you would also teach them not to refer to medicine as candy.
B Correct. Teaching the caregivers of a child being discharged from the hospital about safe storage, use, and disposal of medicines, you would know they have understood your family teaching if they said: We will give her the antibiotic every day until it is finished and not save any of it.
C Incorrect. Teaching the caregivers of a child being discharged from the hospital about safe storage, use, and disposal of medicines, you would also teach them not to give the medication to any other member of the family even if the illness is similar.
D Incorrect. Teaching the caregivers of a child being discharged from the hospital about safe storage, use, and disposal of medicines, you would also teach them not to give any medication other than the one prescribed by the discharge physician.