Author Question: The nurse determines the fundus of a postpartum client to be boggy. Initially, what should the nurse ... (Read 28 times)

gonzo233

The nurse determines the fundus of a postpartum client to be boggy. Initially, what should the nurse do?

1. Document the findings.
  2. Catheterize the client.
  3. Massage the uterine fundus until it is firm.
  4. Call the physician immediately.

Question 2

The special care nursery nurse is working with parents of a 3-day-old infant who was born with myelomeningocele and has developed an infection. Which statement from the mother is unexpected?

1. If I had taken better care of myself, this wouldn't have happened.
  2. I've been sleeping very well since I had the baby.
  3. This is probably the doctor's fault.
  4. If I hadn't seen our baby's birth, I wouldn't believe she is ours.

polinasid

Answer to Question 1

Explanation: 3. The nurse would massage the uterine fundus until it is firm by keeping one hand in position and stabilizing the lower portion of the uterus. With one hand used to massage the fundus, the nurse would put steady pressure on the top of the now-firm fundus and to see if she was able to express any clots.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 2. A sick infant is a source of great anxiety for parents. This response is from the mother would be unexpected.