Author Question: The client is in the second stage of labor. The fetal heart rate baseline is 170, with minimal ... (Read 27 times)

james0929

The client is in the second stage of labor. The fetal heart rate baseline is 170, with minimal variability present. The nurse performs fetal scalp stimulation. The client's partner asks why the nurse did that.

What is the best response by the nurse? 1. I stimulated the top of the fetus's head to wake him up a little.
  2. I stimulated the top of the fetus's head to try to get his heart rate to accelerate.
  3. I stimulated the top of the fetus's head to calm the fetus down before birth.
  4. I stimulated the top of the fetus's head to find out whether he is in distress.

Question 2

The nurse is completing the discharge teaching of a young first-time mother. Which statement by the mother requires immediate intervention?

1. I will put my baby to bed with his bottle so he doesn't get hungry during the night.
  2. My baby will probably have a bowel movement each breastfeeding, and will wet often.
  3. Nursing every 2 to 3 hours is normal, for a total of 8 to 12 feedings every day.
  4. I will drink fenugreek tea from my grandmother to prevent my milk from coming in.

mmj22343

Answer to Question 1

Explanation: 2. Fetal scalp stimulation is done when there is a question regarding fetal status. An acceleration indicates fetal well-being.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 1. Putting a baby to bed with a propped bottle is a choking hazard, and should never be done.