Author Question: The patient with blood type A, Rh-negative, delivered yesterday. Her infant is blood type AB, ... (Read 97 times)

mwit1967

The patient with blood type A, Rh-negative, delivered yesterday. Her infant is blood type AB, Rh-positive. Which statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

1. I need to get RhoGAM so I don't have problems with my next pregnancy.
  2. Because my baby is Rh-positive, I don't need RhoGAM.
  3. If my baby had the same blood type I do, it might cause complications.
  4. Before my next pregnancy, I will need to have a RhoGAM shot.

Question 2

When a woman who has been raped is admitted to the emergency department, the nurse caring for the woman knows that the priority nursing intervention is:

1. Explaining exactly what will need to be done to preserve legal evidence.
  2. Assuring the woman that everything will be all right.
  3. Creating a safe, secure atmosphere for her.
  4. Contacting family members.

jjorrostieta

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM) to prevent alloimmunization, which could cause fetal anemia and other complications during the next pregnancy.
Rationale 2: If the baby is Rh-negative, the mother does not need RhoGAM.
Rationale 3: It is specifically the Rh factor that causes complications; ABO grouping does not cause alloimmunization.
Rationale 4: The injection must be given with 72 hours after delivery to prevent alloimmunization.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: The legal interventions would not take priority over safety at this time.
Rationale 2: Assuring the woman that everything will be all right is not the first priority nursing intervention in caring for a survivor of a sexual assault.
Rationale 3: The first priority in caring for a survivor of a sexual assault is to create a safe, secure atmosphere.
Rationale 4: Contacting family members is important, but is not the priority nursing intervention.