Author Question: The nurse is caring for an abused mother in the postpartum department. The patient is afraid to go ... (Read 62 times)

Evvie72

The nurse is caring for an abused mother in the postpartum department. The patient is afraid to go home, but has no money to do anything else. What can the nurse do to assist this individual and her baby?

1. Work with social services to have the patient and her baby go to a safe place, complete paperwork to obtain financial assistance, and obtain some temporary assistance.
  2. Explain that she will have to go home at this time, but provide her with paperwork to complete to obtain assistance.
  3. Offer to have her partner come in and attend a counseling session with her.
  4. Suggest that once she gets home, she should pursue getting a restraining order against her abuser.

Question 2

The nurse has been talking to a woman about the reorganization phase following a rape. Which response would indicate that the client understands this phase?

1. By using denial and suppression in this phase, I will eventually be able to accept what has happened to me.
  2. During this time, I won't talk much about the rape, because I am examining my inward feelings regarding the rape.
  3. During this time, I will repeatedly replay the role of the victim until I come to terms with the experience.
  4. My perception of a normal sexual relationship will be similar to my perception prior to the rape.

Zebsrer

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The nurse can ask social services to find a safe place for the woman and her baby and help the woman complete paperwork for financial assistance. The first issue is to get her to a safe house.
Rationale 2: It would not be safe to send this patient home.
Rationale 3: Asking the patient whether she will attend counseling with her husband would not be appropriate at this time, because the patient would still be in danger.
Rationale 4: It would not be safe to let this patient go home.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 3. During reorganization, a victim adjusts her self-concept to include the rape.