This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The culturally competent nurse recognizes that health implications of female genital mutilation can ... (Read 46 times)

madam-professor

The culturally competent nurse recognizes that health implications of female genital mutilation can include: Note: Credit will be given only if all correct and no incorrect choices are selected. Select all that apply.

1. Hemorrhage.
  2. HIV transmission.
  3. Chronic urinary infections.
  4. Increased sexual pleasure.
  5. Easier childbirth.

Question 2

A patient is consulting a certified nurse-midwife because she is hoping for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) with this pregnancy. Which statement indicates that the patient requires more information about VBAC?

1. I can try a vaginal birth because my uterine incision is a low segment transverse incision.
  2. The vertical scar on my skin doesn't mean that the scar on my uterus goes in the same direction.
  3. There is about a 90 chance of giving birth vaginally after a cesarean.
  4. Because my hospital has a surgery staff on call 24 hours a day, I can try a VBAC there.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dudman123

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Hemorrhage is the most common immediate complication of all the female genital mutilation procedures done.
Rationale 2: HIV transmission can occur from female genital mutilation in developing countries where the instruments are not sterile.
Rationale 3: Chronic urinary infections caused by inadequate emptying of the bladder are common with female genital mutilation.
Rationale 4: Many infibulated women experience pain during sexual intercourse (dyspareunia).
Rationale 5: Infibulation-related complications associated with childbirth include obstructed labor, nonreassuring fetal status, postpartum hemorrhage, and postpartum sepsis.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Only low segment transverse uterine incisions are recommended for attempting a VBAC.
Rationale 2: Abdominal skin incisions and uterine incisions are not always the same.
Rationale 3: The highest success rates for VBAC are 60 to 80, and occur among women whose previous cesarean was performed because of nonrecurring indications.
Rationale 4: VBAC should be attempted only in facilities that have 24-hour coverage of operating room staff and anesthesia.

madam-professor

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Excellent

recede

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library