This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching childbirth education classes. Teaching has been successful if the primiparous ... (Read 31 times)

Brittanyd9008

The nurse is teaching childbirth education classes. Teaching has been successful if the primiparous patient states: I can reduce the likelihood that I'll tear or need an episiotomy if I:

1. Push in a semi-sitting position.
  2. Make sure I push long and hard.
  3. Begin regular perineal massage.
  4. Pull back on my legs when pushing.

Question 2

The patient with -thalassemia intermedia has a hemoglobin level of 9.0. The nurse is preparing an education session for the patient. Which statement should the nurse include?

1. You need to increase your intake of meat and other iron-rich foods.
  2. Your low hemoglobin could put you into preterm labor.
  3. Increasing your vitamin C intake will help your hemoglobin level.
  4. You should not take iron or folic acid supplements.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

hollysheppard095

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The semi-sitting or lithotomy position increases the likelihood of perineal lacerations.
Rationale 2: Short pushes during the expulsion of the head decrease the likelihood of perineal lacerations.
Rationale 3: Perineal massage has been shown to decrease the need for episiotomy in primiparous patients.
Rationale 4: Pulling back on the legs while pushing tightens the perineal tissue, which in turn increases the likelihood of perineal lacerations.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Iron-rich foods and supplementation should be avoided to prevent iron overload.
Rationale 2: Because the patient's iron levels are normal, increasing dietary iron will not affect the hemoglobin.
Rationale 3: Vitamin C increases iron absorption, but a patient with thalassemia does not need additional iron.
Rationale 4: -thalassemia intermedia is due to an abnormal red blood cell structure, which leads to microcytic anemia with normal ferritin and iron levels.

Brittanyd9008

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Wow, this really help

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library