Author Question: The patient has just been diagnosed as diabetic. The nurse knows teaching was effective when the ... (Read 22 times)

Alainaaa8

The patient has just been diagnosed as diabetic. The nurse knows teaching was effective when the patient says:

1. Ketones in my urine mean that my body is using the glucose appropriately.
  2. I should be urinating frequently and in large amounts to get rid of the extra sugar.
  3. My pancreas is making enough insulin, but my body isn't using it correctly.
  4. I might be hungry frequently because the sugar isn't getting into the tissues the way it should.

Question 2

A new father asks the nurse to describe what his baby will experience while sleeping and awake. What is the best response?

1. Babies have several sleep and alert states. Keep watching and you'll notice them.
  2. You might have noticed that your child was in an alert awake state for an hour after birth.
  3. Newborns have two stages of sleep: deep or quiet sleep and rapid eye movement sleep.
  4. Birth is hard work for babies. It takes them a week or two to recover and become more awake.

bigsis44

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Ketones are produced when fat is being utilized for glucose, and this is not a desirable response.
Rationale 2: Frequent urination is an indication of glucose above the renal threshold, and is not a good indicator of diabetic stability.
Rationale 3: Diabetes is a result of lack of insulin production. If the insulin is being produced, the body will utilize it.
Rationale 4: The patient who understands the disease process is aware that if the body is not getting the glucose it needs, the message of hunger will be sent to the brain.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 3. Teaching the parents how to recognize the two sleep stages helps them tune in to their infant's behavioral states.