This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse assesses the postpartum patient who has not had a bowel movement by the third postpartum ... (Read 58 times)

jake

The nurse assesses the postpartum patient who has not had a bowel movement by the third postpartum day. Which nursing intervention would be appropriate?

1. Encourage the new mother to be patient, saying, It will happen soon.
  2. Instruct the patient to eat a low-fiber diet.
  3. Decrease fluid intake.
  4. Obtain an order for a stool softener.

Question 2

A nurse is providing contraceptive counseling to a perimenopausal client in a monogamous relationship. What comment by the client indicates that further teaching is necessary?

1. The calendar method is the most reliable method for me to use.
  2. If I use the IUC, I will be at minimal risk for pelvic inflammatory disease.
  3. I should still use birth control, even though I had only three periods last year.
  4. The contraceptive skin patch contains both estrogen and progesterone.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ntsoane kedibone

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Saying It will happen soon does not address the patient's needs and could increase the chance for constipation.
Rationale 2: Eating a low-fiber diet would not increase bulk or moisture in the stool.
Rationale 3: Decreasing fluid intake would decrease moisture in the fecal material, encouraging constipation.
Rationale 4: Obtaining an order for a stool softener is the correct intervention by the third day. The patient might fear having a bowel movement due to perineal soreness, and stool softeners would increase bulk and moisture in the fecal material, allowing for more comfortable evacuation.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 1. The client who believes the calendar method is the most reliable method requires more teaching. The menstrual cycle of perimenopausal women is irregular, and it is difficult to determine safe and unsafe times.

jake

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
:D TYSM

alvinum

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library