This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is reviewing care of patients on a motherbaby unit. Which situation should be reported to ... (Read 57 times)

bobthebuilder

The nurse is reviewing care of patients on a motherbaby unit. Which situation should be reported to the supervisor?

1. A 2-day-old infant has breastfed every 3 hours and voided 4 times.
  2. An infant was placed in the wrong crib after examination by the physician.
  3. The patient who delivered by cesarean birth yesterday received oral narcotics.
  4. A primiparous patient who delivered today is requesting discharge within 24 hours.

Question 2

At 32 weeks' gestation, a woman is scheduled for a second nonstress test (following one she had at 28 weeks' gestation). Which statement by the patient would indicate an adequate understanding of this procedure?

1. I can't get up and walk around during the test.
  2. I'll have an IV started before the test.
  3. I must avoid drinks containing caffeine for 24 hours before the test.
  4. I need to have a full bladder for this test.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sylvia

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Breastfeeding every 2 hours and voiding 4 times is within normal limits for a 2-day-old infant. There is no negligence in this situation.
Rationale 2: Placing an infant in the wrong crib is negligence. Negligence is omitting information or committing an act that a reasonable person would not omit or commit under the same circumstances.
Rationale 3: Receiving oral narcotics at this point in the patient's stay is within normal limits. There is no negligence in this situation.
Rationale 4: If the patient is feeling well and able to care for her infant, it is normal to be discharged at this time. The mother and baby both must be within normal limits to be discharged.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: The purpose of the nonstress test is to determine the results of movement on fetal heart rate. The patient will have to lie still on her side during the procedure.
Rationale 2: No IV is needed to administer medications.
Rationale 3: Caffeine might cause the infant to be more active and cause the test to go more quickly.
Rationale 4: Patients usually are asked to have their bladders full only for ultrasounds.

bobthebuilder

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Wow, this really help

EAN94

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library