Author Question: Which statement made by a school-age girl indicates the need for further teaching about the ... (Read 12 times)

deesands

Which statement made by a school-age girl indicates the need for further teaching about the prevention of urinary tract infections?

a. I always wear cotton underwear..
  b. I really enjoy taking a bubble bath..
  c. I go to the bathroom every 3 to 4 hours..
  d. I drink four to six glasses of fluid every day..

Question 2

The nurse is providing home care instructions to the parents of an infant being discharged after repair of a bilateral cleft lip. Which instructions should the nurse include? Select all that apply.

a. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) should not be given to your infant.
  b. Feed your infant in an upright position.
  c. Place your infant prone for a period of time each day.
  d. Burp your child frequently during feedings.
  e. Apply antibiotic ointment to the lip as pre-scribed.

Anonymous

Answer to Question 1

B
Bubble baths should be avoided because they tend to cause urethral irritation, which leads to urinary tract infection. It is desirable to wear cotton rather than nylon underwear. Nylon tends to hold in moisture and promote bacterial growth, whereas cotton absorbs moisture. Children should be encouraged to urinate at least four times a day. An adequate fluid intake prevents the buildup of bacteria in the bladder.

Answer to Question 2

B, D, E
After cleft lip surgery the parents are taught to feed the infant in an upright position to decrease the chance of choking. The parents are taught to burp the infant frequently during feedings because excess air is often swallowed. Parents are taught to cleanse the suture line area with a cotton swab using a rolling motion and apply antibiotic ointment with the same technique. Tylenol is used for pain and the child should never be placed prone as that can damage the suture line.