This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which is the best response for the nurse to make to parents who ask why their infant has a ... (Read 23 times)

jon_i

Which is the best response for the nurse to make to parents who ask why their infant has a nasogastric tube to intermittent suction after abdominal surgery?

a. The nasogastric tube decompresses the abdomen and decreases vomiting..
  b. We can keep a more accurate measure of intake and output with the nasogastric tube..
  c. The tube is used to decrease postoperative diarrhea..
  d. Believe it or not, the nasogastric tube makes the baby more comfortable after surgery..

Question 2

What is an appropriate statement for the nurse to make to parents of a child who has had a barium enema to correct an intussusception?

a. I will call the physician when the baby passes his first stool..
  b. I am going to dilate the anal sphincter with a gloved finger to help the baby pass the barium..
  c. I would like you to save all the soiled diapers so I can inspect them..
  d. Add cereal to the baby's formula to help him pass the barium..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

IRincones

Answer to Question 1

A
The nasogastric tube provides decompression and decreases vomiting. A nursing responsibility when a patient has a nasogastric tube is measurement of accurate intake and output, but this is not why nasogastric tubes are inserted. Nasogastric tube placement does not decrease diarrhea. The presence of a nasogastric tube can be perceived as a discomfort by the patient.

Answer to Question 2

C
The nurse needs to inspect diapers after a barium enema because it is important to document the passage of barium and note the characteristics of the stool. The physician does not need to be notified when the infant passes the first stool. Dilating the anal sphincter is not appropriate for the child after a barium enema. After reduction, the infant is given clear liquids and the diet is gradually increased.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jun 27, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

CAPTAINAMERICA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library