Author Question: Which statement by the parent of a 5-year-old child with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) ... (Read 15 times)

V@ndy87

Which statement by the parent of a 5-year-old child with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) regarding prescribed antiretroviral agents indicates that she has a good understanding of disease management?

a. When my child's pain increases, I double the recommended dosage of antiretroviral medication..
  b. Addiction is a risk, so I use the medication only as ordered..
  c. Doses of the antiretroviral medication are selected on the basis of my child's age and growth..
  d. By the time my child is an adolescent, she will not need her antiretroviral medications any longer..

Question 2

A nurse assesses a child on long-term systemic corticosteroid therapy for which condition?

a. Hypotension
  b. Dilation of blood vessels in the cheeks
  c. Growth delays
  d. Decreased appetite and weight loss

jxjsniuniu

Answer to Question 1

C
Doses of antiretroviral medication to treat HIV infection for infants and children are based on individualized age and growth considerations. Antiretroviral medications are not administered for pain relief. Doubling the recommended dosage of any medication is not appropriate without an order from the physician. Addiction is not a realistic concern with antiretroviral medications. Antiretroviral medications are still needed during adolescence. Doses for adolescents are based on pubertal status by Tanner staging.

Answer to Question 2

C
Growth delay is associated with long-term steroid use related to protein catabolism and decreased growth hormone. Hypertension is a clinical manifestation of long-term systemic steroid administration. Dilation of blood vessels in the cheeks is associated with an excess of topically administered steroids. Increased appetite and weight gain are clinical manifestations of excess systemic corticosteroid therapy.