Author Question: A couple comes to the clinic for a fertility evaluation. The male partner is to undergo a semen ... (Read 35 times)

tnt_battle

A couple comes to the clinic for a fertility evaluation. The male partner is to undergo a semen analysis. After teaching the partner about this test, which client statement indicates that the client has understood the instructions?

A) I need to bring the specimen to the lab the day after collecting it..
  B) I will place the specimen in a special plastic bag to transport it..
  C) I have to abstain from sexual activity for about 12 days before the sample..
  D) I will withdraw before I ejaculate during sex to collect the specimen..

Question 2

A child is brought to the emergency department by his parents because he suddenly developed a barking cough. Further assessment leads the nurse to suspect that the child is experiencing croup.

Which of the following would the nurse have most likely assessed? A) High fever
  B) Dysphagia
  C) Toxic appearance
  D) Inspiratory stridor

wshriver

Answer to Question 1

C
Semen analysis is the most important indicator of male fertility. The man should abstain from sexual activity for 24 to 48 hours before giving the sample. For a semen examination, the man is asked to produce a specimen by ejaculating into a specimen container and delivering it to the laboratory for analysis within 1 to 2 hours. When the specimen is brought to the laboratory, it is analyzed for volume, viscosity, number of sperm, sperm viability, motility, and sperm shape.

Answer to Question 2

D
A child with croup typically develops a barking-like cough often at night. This may be accompanied by inspiratory stridor and suprasternal retractions. Temperature may be normal or slightly elevated. A high fever, dysphagia, and toxic appearance are associated with epiglottitis.