Author Question: The nurse provides discharge instructions to a postpartum patient. Which patient statement indicates ... (Read 22 times)

clippers!

The nurse provides discharge instructions to a postpartum patient. Which patient statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

A) I should limit stair climbing to four times a day..
  B) I can have coitus at any time after returning home..
  C) I should plan to return to my full-time job after 6 weeks..
  D) I should notify the physician if my discharge decreases in amount..

Question 2

A woman who gave birth 24 hours ago tells the nurse, I've been urinating so much over the past several hours.. Which response by the nurse would be most appropriate?

A) You must have an infection, so let me get a urine specimen..
  B) Your body is undergoing many changes that cause your bladder to fill quickly..
  C) Your uterus is not contracting as quickly as it should..
  D) The anesthesia that you received is wearing off and your bladder is working again..

lauravaras

Answer to Question 1

C
It is usually advised that a woman not return to an outside job for at least 3 to 6 weeks not only for her own health but also for enjoyment of the early weeks with the newborn. Stair climbing should be limited to one flight/day for the first week at home. Coitus is safe as soon as the patient's lochia has turned to alba and, if present, an episiotomy is healed. The patient should notify the primary care provider if there is an increase, not a decrease, in lochial discharge.

Answer to Question 2

B
Postpartum diuresis occurs as a result of several mechanisms: the large amounts of IV fluids given during labor, a decreasing antidiuretic effect of oxytocin as its level declines, the buildup and retention of extra fluids during pregnancy, and a decreasing production of aldosteronethe hormone that decreases sodium retention and increases urine production. All these factors contribute to rapid filling of the bladder within 12 hours of birth. Diuresis begins within 12 hours after childbirth and continues throughout the first week postpartum. Rapid bladder filling, possible infection, or effects of anesthesia are not involved.