This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is scheduled to have a Pap smear. After the nurse teaches the client about the Pap smear, ... (Read 33 times)

nramada

A client is scheduled to have a Pap smear. After the nurse teaches the client about the Pap smear, which of the following client statements indicates successful teaching?

A) I need to douche the night before with a mild vinegar solution..
  B) I will take a bath first thing that morning to make sure I'm clean..
  C) I will not engage in sexual intercourse for 48 hours before the test..
  D) I will get a clean urine specimen when I first wake up the morning of the test..

Question 2

What finding should cause the nurse to suspect a diagnosis of spastic cerebral palsy?

a. Tremulous movements at rest and with activity
  b. Sudden jerking movement caused by stimuli
  c. Writhing, uncontrolled, involuntary movements
  d. Clumsy, uncoordinated movements

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

C
The woman should refrain from sexual intercourse for 48 hours before the test because sperm can obscure the specimen. Douching should be avoided for 48 hours before the test to prevent washing away cervical cells, which might be abnormal. Although a bath is an appropriate hygiene measure, it is not required before a Pap smear. Collecting a urine specimen also is not necessary.

Answer to Question 2

B
Feedback
A Tremulous movements are characteristic of rigid/tremor/atonic cerebral palsy.
B Spastic cerebral palsy, the most common type of cerebral palsy, will manifest
with hypertonicity and increased deep tendon reflexes. The child's muscles are
very tight and any stimuli may cause a sudden jerking movement.
C Slow, writhing, uncontrolled, involuntary movements occur with athetoid or
dyskinetic cerebral palsy.
D Clumsy movements, loss of coordination, equilibrium, and kinesthetic sense
occur in ataxic cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library