Author Question: The father of an infant calls the nurse to his son's room because he is making a strange noise. A ... (Read 19 times)

cagreen833

The father of an infant calls the nurse to his son's room because he is making a strange noise. A diagnosis of laryngomalacia is made. What does the nurse expect to find on assessment?

a. Stridor
  b. High-pitched cry
  c. Nasal congestion
  d. Spasmodic cough

Question 2

Which statement made by a parent indicates an understanding about treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis?

a. I guess my child will need to have his tonsils removed.
  b. A couple of days of rest and some ibuprofen will take care of this.
  c. I should give the penicillin three times a day for 10 days.
  d. I am giving my child prednisone to decrease the swelling of the tonsils.

Jadwiga9

Answer to Question 1

A
Feedback
A Stridor is usually present at birth but may begin as late as 2 months. Symptoms
increase when the infant is supine or crying.
B High-pitched cries are consistent with neurologic abnormalities and are not
usually respiratory in nature.
C Nasal congestion is nonspecific in relation to laryngomalacia.
D Spasmodic cough is associated with croup; it is not a common symptom of
laryngomalacia.

Answer to Question 2

C
Feedback
A Surgical removal of the tonsils is a controversial issue. It may be warranted in
cases of recurrent tonsillitis. It is not indicated for the treatment of acute
tonsillitis.
B Comfort measures such as rest and analgesics are indicated, but these will not
treat the bacterial infection.
C Streptococcal pharyngitis is best treated with oral penicillin two to three times
daily for 10 days.
D Corticosteroids are not used in the treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis.